For the 5th time in Lebanon, Bikeathon – a national initiative with a purpose to promote a friendly-cycling road environment- is taking place, organized by Green Mind.
Established in 2012, Green Mind is a non-governmental organization founded by a group of Lebanese professionals with a vision to encourage sustainability practices in all of its economic and social policies in the Middle East.
“There is nothing more beautiful and inspiring than teaming up with our friends, colleagues, and families in a ride that calls for the creation of safe cycling lanes in the city. A community that is provided with an access to cycling lanes will want to use it, and that is how the process for changing towards an environmental culture begins” Mr Gaby tamer, President of the Franco Lebanese chamber of commerce.
You can participate as a company, organization, or individual at the Beirut Bikeathon event, all you have to do is preregister your name to www.greenmindme.org.
- Date: Sunday October 5, 2014
- Time: 8:00 AM
- Location: The Beirut Waterfront, Beirut Central District
- Tracks: 11.1 km, 13.7 km, or 17.4 km
- Fee: Free of charge, all you have to do is pre-register your name to www.greenmindme.org
- Bike rentals: You can bring your own bicycle and helmet. If not, you can book them from Beirut By Bike ahead of time
Adopting bike lanes offers the community numerous benefits:
- Businesses boom since there will be an easier access to the stores/restaurants/cafes that have been neglected because of the parking hassle experienced by motorists.
- It promotes a healthier lifestyle, it will motivate more people to get out and bike
- It will be safer for cyclists to have bike lanes than to share the same road with motorists.
- Bicycling significantly reduces transportation emissions while also reducing traffic congestion.
Show support to your community and register to be part of this great cause !